The North Georgia Fair Association was organized on May 19, 1949 by incorporating directors nominated by the Whitfield County Farm Bureau. At its first meeting, on May 24th, 1949, with representatives of civic, educational, and agricultural agencies, the first officers were elected: Keely Greer, president; Lon Bagby, vice president; and Burl Scoggins, who was instrumental in the organization’s growth as secretary-treasurer-manager for over 25 years. A succession of presidents oversaw the association’s expansion, most recently Don Allen Garrett, who has served as president since 2012.
The first North Georgia Fair was held Oct. 17-22, 1949, and remains a cultural tradition. Today, the fair offers a valuable community service for Northwest Georgia through its recognition of those seeking to improve agricultural standards, its promotion of education, and its stimulation of youthful participation.